The aim of pulmonary rehab is to keep you active if you have a lung condition. Pulmonary rehab is a program of treatment which teaches you how to manage your symptoms and your condition. It also teaches you how to look after your lungs through exercise.
You may also be offered oxygen therapy if the levels of oxygen in your blood are low. Oxygen therapy can help you to walk further than you are currently doing. It can also increase your life expectancy.
A pulmonary rehab treatment course tends to last between six and eight weeks and a team of specialists including, occupational therapists, nurses and physiotherapists will help you through the treatment.
Professionals will help you to manage the condition that you have by giving you advice and specific exercises to complete.
There are many benefits to having pulmonary rehab. For example:
- You will learn how to manage your condition and understand it better.
- You will be able to improve your level of fitness so you can complete everyday tasks easier.
- It will help you to improve your muscle strength. This way the oxygen you take in will be used in an efficient way and reduce the breathlessness that you feel.
- You will get to learn more about your condition.
- Your wellbeing will improve.
- You will learn how to eat better as you will be taught about healthy eating.
- The therapy will help you to stay out of the hospital as it can reduce the progression of the disease.